If you want to track your sleep quality, reduce snoring, and potentially improve your sleep hygiene at the same time, you’ve come to the right place.
Here, we’ll be looking at the Zeeq smart pillow, a unique sleep tracking tool that gives you insights into your sleeping habits without asking you to wear a tracker or smartwatch to bed.
The Zeeq smart pillow was designed by a company called REM-fit — which also offers fitness tracking apps too. The cushion can monitor snoring, sleep duration, and even sleep stages, to give you a better insight into how sweet your dreams really are each night. There’s also built-in Bluetooth speakers and vibrating silent alarms to help you wake up in the morning.
So, what can you expect from this product? Read on through our Zeeq smart pillow review to find out.
Zeeq smart pillow review: Design and comfort
At first glance, there’s very little to distinguish Zeeq from a standard pillow. It looks just like the cushion you’re probably already using in your bed, connected to a small remote on one side. It is a little heavier than a conventional pillow thanks to the added electrical components within. However, you shouldn’t expect it to feel as though you’re sleeping with your head on a rock.
To ensure all-night comfort, the Zeeq pillow includes a smooth foam outer layer, as well as shredded foam on the inside for a cosy memory-foam-like effect. There’s also some extra shredded foam included with your purchase, so you can increase the firmness of the pillow to suit your needs.
The Zeeq smart pillow measures about 26.5 by 18.6 inches, which makes it similar to a standard pillow in size, although it might seem a bit small when placed into a typical pillowcase. The 7 pounds of weight attributed to this cushion come from microphone monitors, a gyroscope, wireless speakers, and vibration motors all hidden within the plush outer layer.
The pillowcase that comes included with the Zeeq is made of Tencel fibre, which REM-fit claims is moisture-wicking, hypoallergenic, and temperature regulating too. On the top of the attached remote, you’ll find a USB charging port, power button, and indicator lights, as well as a volume button so you can play music from within your pillow.
I personally found this pillow quite firm compared to most, and unfortunately, it’s difficult to take the stuffing out without exposing yourself to some of the lumps and bumps of the electrical innards.
Zeeq smart pillow review: App and setup
To use your new Zeeq pillow, you’ll need the free app on your iOS or Android smartphone. Enter your demographics into the app and connect the pillow to your phone through Bluetooth to get started. Initially, I had a bit of trouble getting the app connected to the pillow, but if you have the same problem, you can always contact the tech support team at REM-Fit for some extra assistance.
Before you go to sleep each night, you can start your pillow tracking your sleep by opening the app and hitting the “Start sleep” button. You can also set up an auto-sleep setting through the Zeeq app that automatically measures your sleeping patterns during a pre-defined period of four hours each day. If you want to avoid using your smartphone and you don’t have auto-sleep established, just use the small remote on the side of the pillow.
The app is straightforward and easy enough to use once you have it downloaded and connected. If you start your sleep manually on the app, then you’ll also need to remember to stop it when you wake up – which can be a bit of a problem for some, but it’s something you’ll get used to. Once you do hit the stop button, you’ll see a numeric score of how well you slept, as well as your average snoring level, and various graphs that showcase your movements.
Zeeq smart pillow review: Functionality
For most pillows, the most important thing you’ll need to think about before making a purchase is how comfortable the cushioning is. However, with the Zeeq smart pillow, the real magic comes in the special features. There’s a compilation of electrical components and sensors in the cushion that allow you to access things like:
- Snore monitor/alarm: The pillow uses a decibel-tuned microphone which listens to you sleeping to detect any snoring. If you activate the snore alarm, Zeeq will gently vibrate to encourage you to change positions and potentially save your relationship in the process. However, the vibration is so gentle that some people may not notice it.
- Snore scoring: On your Zeeq smart pillow app, you can also see how heavily you were snoring during the night, with a measurement of your average decibel rating. If you want evidence that you’re causing problems with your snoring each night, then this is where you’ll get it. If you notice that you are snoring more significantly at certain times, you can question whether certain factors—like extra heat or humidity in the room—could be the cause. Unfortunately, Zeeq can’t tell the difference between someone snoring, and them turning over, or a cat meowing outside.
- Motion monitor: There’s a gyroscope within this intelligent pillow to track your motion during the night. Zeeq can also give you a numeric score based on your motion that indicates how well you slept. According to some Zeeq smart pillow reviews, this score isn’t always as accurate as it claims to be, as people often received a good rating on nights that they felt they slept poorly.
- Partner-friendly alarm: The partner-friendly alarm built into the Zeeq smart pillow is designed to wake you up with vibrations, without disturbing your partner. The vibration here is strong enough to wake you up, and it does make a little noise, but it shouldn’t wake a deep sleeper on the other side of the bed.
- Audio streaming: There are eight wireless speakers in total within this pillow — which might seem like too many for some people. However, it does mean that you can easily listen to your choice of audiobook or music when you’re falling asleep. You can connect your pillow to Spotify, iTunes, and other music sources. Additionally, the speakers are positioned in such a way that your partner shouldn’t hear much — which is great if one of you likes noise when sleeping, and the other doesn’t.
- Smart home compatibility: The Zeeq smart pillow is also compatible with various other smart home devices, such as the Amazon Echo, so you can ask your smart speaker to start playing music through your pillow without having to use your app.
Zeeq smart pillow review: Verdict
So, is the Zeeq smart pillow the right investment for you?
On paper, it’s an excellent idea, with Bluetooth speakers for listening to music while you sleep, and hidden vibrating alarms. However, the truth is that the inaccuracy of the app and the firm feeling of the pillow makes this cushion less than an ideal choice for many sleepers.